One of the few universals of childhood is the transition to school. Transitioning to kindergarten can be a challenging time for children and parents. The move to kindergarten is a process that is most successful when it is carefully planned out. At Redeemer, we start preparing our children for school from a very young age. We ensure that our children enjoy their school experiences. We also guide children through steady growth in social, physical, language and academic skills throughout their preschool years and encourage parent’s involvement in their children’s education. In the summer months, we incorporate the following components to the Pre-K curriculum to help ease the children into the kindergarten transition.
- Visits to the kindergarten classrooms and playground.
- Introduction of kindergarten routines and expectations by kindergarten teachers and students.
- Structured outdoor exercise each morning.
- Skill enhancement activities: literacy, math, science, retelling stories, name writing with upper/lower case, pencil grip, reciting addresses and phone numbers, etc.
- Parent workshops in coping with changes and kindergarten transition.
- Field trips to local parks, book stores, libraries, etc.